|Members of the Sarasota County Commission and the Friends of Sarasota County Parks are inviting the community to join them for a celebration of the newly improved Manasota Beach Park, 8570 Manasota Key Road, Venice, at 5 p.m. Wednesday, April 3.
The recently completed $1.5 million capital improvement project includes:
- A new pedestrian boardwalk with fishing pier
- Paved walkways and a ramped dune walkover for beach access
- Outdoor seating areas with shade trees
- Updated pavilions and picnic areas with grills
- Improved parking with additional capacity and safer crosswalks on Manasota Key Road
- A new, larger beach restroom facility with improved Americans with Disabilities (ADA) access.
"Manasota Beach Park has been one of the most popular beach destinations in southern Sarasota County for decades," said Parks and Recreation Director Carolyn Brown. "We wanted to upgrade the amenities and recreational opportunities in the park, while maintaining the environmental beauty and charm that has drawn people to this beach for the last 50 years."
In 1963, Manasota Beach consisted of 480 feet of gulf frontage with four concrete picnic shelters. Over the next 10 years, the park was expanded to more than 14 acres and beach was enlarged to its current size of 1,300 feet. Funding for this latest improvement project came from the voter-approved infrastructure surtax (1-cent sales tax).
For more information, contact the Sarasota County Call Center at 941-861-5000 (TTY: 711 or 1-800-955-8771).