The Charlotte Harbor National Estuary Program (CHNEP) invites you to the Climate Adaptation for Coastal Communities Workshop on Feb. 23-25, 2016, at Lemon Bay Park (570 Bay Park Blvd, Englewood, 941/861-5000). We are delighted that NOAA Office for Coastal Management is offering this workshop to CHNEP, a partnership working to protect the natural environment from Venice to Bonita Springs to Winter Haven.
This three-day instructor-led workshop will give you a thorough grounding in the topic of adaptation – and time in class to apply what you’ve learned to your own adaptation projects. The workshop covers these essentials: understanding climate science and impacts; determining community vulnerabilities; communicating effectively; identifying adaptation strategies; and finding mechanisms to implement those strategies. Opportunities for local collaboration and next steps for adaptation planning and implementation are emphasized through discussion, participant activities, and incorporation of local speakers and examples.
After completing this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Recognize the changes and variability in climate and climate’s influence on coastal communities
- Identify opportunities to leverage a range of governance mechanisms to integrate adaptation strategies into their existing efforts
- Examine methods for conducting hazard, vulnerability, and risk assessment as it relates to climate change
- Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of adaptation strategies
- Apply climate communication research concepts and findings to enable effective communication with target audiences
There is a registration fee of $75 with refreshments and lunch provided.
Please register by noon on Monday, Feb. 8. Registration is via EventBrite at the link below:
Register now »